Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Book Review of The Fault in our Stars by John Green



Synopsis:
Despite the tumor-shrinking medical miracle that has bought her a few years, Hazel has never been anything but terminal, her final chapter inscribed upon diagnosis. But when a gorgeous plot twist named Augustus Waters suddenly appears at Cancer Kid Support Group, Hazel's story is about to be completely rewritten.

Review:
I don’t even know where to begin. I should inform you all that I’m a crier and that when I read this I was personally experiencing life with a loved one who had terminal cancer. Initially, I thought that’s why I was so affected by the book, but as I continued reading I realized it wasn’t just me, it was this story.

So, I started this book at work one afternoon and read for about 20 minutes before I had to clock out. That night I started it up again and didn’t put the book down until 3 IN THE MORNING!
This is hands down one of the most heart-wrenching books I have EVER read. The story starts and you meet Hazel Grace Lancaster, a sixteen year old who has terminal thyroid cancer. Her mom thinks she’s depressed so she makes her attend “Cancer Kid Support Group”. At said group we meet Augustus Waters, a seventeen year old who is in remission for Osteosarcoma, a form of bone cancer. Once these two met, I was a goner!
Both characters are super quirky and sweet and witty. I love that this book wasn’t just about teenagers who have Cancer. It was about survival, love, and friendship. I laughed and I cried. OK, mostly I cried. SOBBED. I sobbed uncontrollably, OK!?
Come to think of it, I didn’t think I would laugh so much reading this book or that I would become so attached to ALL of the characters.  The writing was so fantastic that I seriously felt like Hazel and Augustus were my friends. I literally did not stop reading until I finished (except for when I had to blow my nose or remove my messy ass mascara from all the crying I was doing) LOL.

Final verdict: do yourself a favor and go read this book. Yes, it’s an emotional terrorist. Yes, you might have a book hangover after reading it. But, you’ll be glad you did read it. And you may look a little like this:

And now, I’ll leave you with a couple of my favorite quotes from the book.
 That's the thing about pain," Augustus said, and then glanced back at me. "It demands to be felt”
John Green, The Fault in Our Stars

“Grief does not change you, Hazel. It reveals you.”
John Green, The Fault in Our Stars

2 comments:

  1. First of all, I love that you use gifs! And that fact that you used a Doctor Who one. Hells yes.

    Second! I need to read this book soooo bad. Everyone keeps raving about how wonderful it is. I need to jump on it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not even gonna lie when I say that I am terrified to read this book! I've heard amazing things, but I have a tendency to shy away from books that I know are "emotionally terrorizing" - lol.

    One day I will have to man-up and read it because clearly this book must be read.

    XO,
    Isalys / Book Soulmates

    ReplyDelete