Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Book Review of Jenny Pox (The Paranormals # 1) by J. L. Bryan




Synopsis:

Eighteen-year-old Jenny Morton has a horrific secret: her touch spreads a deadly supernatural plague, the "Jenny pox." She lives by a single rule: Never touch anyone. A lifetime of avoiding any physical contact with others has made her isolated and painfully lonely in her small rural town.

Then she meets the one boy she can touch. Jenny feels herself falling for Seth...but if she's going to be with him, Jenny must learn to use the deadly pox inside her to confront his ruthless and manipulative girlfriend Ashleigh, who secretly wields the most dangerous power of all.

* * *

Not recommended for readers under eighteen.

Review:


Let me begin by saying that not only is this my first review ever [insert nervous giggles] but it’s also the first Indie book that I’ve ever read.
Jenny Pox was great! Right off the bat I was excited because the book was FREE on my Nook. Once I started reading I was incredibly impressed with the opening. The story is very unique and intriguing so I was instantly hooked. Unfortunately, once introduced to the characters and the plot, I felt it slowed down. I’m the kind of reader who LOVES fast-paced books that are full of action and drama.  I loved the writing and found myself not wanting to put it down most of the time but the middle of the book was too wordy for my taste and I found myself skimming through quite a few parts. With that being said, I did finish it and I’m glad I did! I was pleasantly surprised that I was able to connect to the story because I usually don’t when stories are written by Male authors.
OK- so, the characters. At first I didn’t really like Jenny’s dad. I felt he was distant and I had a problem with his drinking due to the fact that it restricted his relationship with Jenny.  However, as the story progressed I began to understand him and why he acted the way he did. In the end, I understood his turmoil over losing his wife and Jenny’s “condition”.
One of the few things that I didn’t really care for was how Jenny and Seth’s relationship began. I felt it was way too quick to start and underdeveloped. In my opinion, it was rushed. They have known each other their whole lives but don’t really talk and then all of a sudden she’s having feelings for him and pulling him out of class to light it up. I found myself thinking that her toxic touch was more realistic than their relationship, even though we get more insight as to why that is later in the book.  
As for Ashleigh, she was an AWESOME villain. She was such a scheming, manipulative, bitchy, cruel, self-centered, and NASTY PUTA FRESCA (look it up, lol).  I found myself hating her ALMOST as much as Professor Umbridge from Harry Potter, and that’s saying a lot.
AND HOLY TWIST, BATMAN! The ending….

My jaw literally dropped and I kept thinking “this HAS to be a dream!” It was something straight out of a horror movie, folks.  Plenty of fast-paced action and drama for me there!  J.L. Bryan definitely made up for the lag in the middle with this ending!
I am a re-reader and one of the questions I always I ask myself is: Would I read this again?  It will probably be a few years before I’d be tempted to read “Jenny Pox” again but that won’t stop me from reading the rest of this series, which I’m excited about!
 

1 comment:

  1. I just started this book two days ago and I can't wait to finish the series! I am hooked. You should definitely read his new book Nomad that came out yesterday! It's NA dystopian - action, time travel. And super fast paced!

    Great review, Betsy!

    ReplyDelete