Friday, July 26, 2013

Book review of Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (Miss Peregrine #1) by Ransom Riggs

 
 
 
Synopsis:
 
A mysterious island. An abandoned orphanage. And a strange collection of very curious photographs. It all waits to be discovered in Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, an unforgettable novel that mixes fiction and photography in a thrilling reading experience. As our story opens, a horrific family tragedy sets sixteen-year-old Jacob journeying to a remote island off the coast of Wales, where he discovers the crumbling ruins of Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children. As Jacob explores its abandoned bedrooms and hallways, it becomes clear that the children who once lived here - one of whom was his own grandfather - were more than just peculiar. They may have been dangerous. They may have been quarantined on a desolate island for good reason. And somehow - impossible though it seems - they may still be alive.
 
Review:
 
This book was a DNF (did not finish) for me. The amount that I did read which was about 50% of the book, I rated two stars.
 
I was so excited to start this book. I had been seeing it everywhere and found the cover so eye catching! The book starts off really great and delivers the creep factor that is anticipated. I was super intrigued and invested but as I read on, I lost interest and found myself bored and distracted by my phone.


 


 
After the amazing prologue, the story got a little slow and I thought “it’s not you, it’s me” but no, it was you. Don’t get me wrong, the premise is unique and creative but it lacked more development in all aspects of the story, in my opinion. There came a point where I was just reading to get to the next set of pictures. I felt the story needed more- especially where the characters were concerned.
 
Jacob's character was not relatable to me at all. At times I felt connected to him through certain strong emotions he experienced, but then he’d lose me. I feel like I still don’t KNOW him as a character and I got through about half of the book. Come to think of it, all the characters in the book fell flat for me. They were hollow and not really interesting- there was no real definition. I felt like they were just there to be “peculiar” and not to add anything to the story.
 
In the end, everything about the story and where it was headed turned juvenile to me. It started off in the realm of this dark, eerie YA and then just turned into a Elementary School scary story.
 
 
 
 
 
I may try to re-read and finish this again but to be honest it’s not high on my list of books I want to read right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment