Thursday, July 25, 2013

Book review of Sweet Evil (The Sweet Trilogy #1) by Wendy Higgins


Please note*  This was a DNF for me. 




 
Synopsis:

Embrace the Forbidden

What if there were teens whose lives literally depended on being bad influences?


This is the reality for sons and daughters of fallen angels.

Tenderhearted Southern girl Anna Whitt was born with the sixth sense to see and feel emotions of other people. She's aware of a struggle within herself, an inexplicable pull toward danger, but it isn't until she turns sixteen and meets the alluring Kaidan Rowe that she discovers her terrifying heritage and her willpower is put to the test. He's the boy your daddy warned you about. If only someone had warned Anna.


Forced to face her destiny, will Anna embrace her halo or her horns?

Review:

This book was a DNF (did not finish) for me.  The amount that I did read which was about 60% of the book, I rated three stars.

The world building was phenomenal   I really liked the way everything was set up.  It was a very fresh and cool idea with interesting history behind it.  This was probably what kept me reading the book for as long as I did. 

The problem for me was the characters.  

The protagonist. I didn't like the protagonist.  Sometimes (very few) I felt somewhat of a connection to her but then it would evaporate with some sort of action she did.  

The guardian. Her "mom" was inconsistent.  One minute she's this really strict parent and the next she's shipping her daughter on a cross country trip with the same boy she told her to absolutely stay away from.  This is after speaking to him for all of five minutes.  


The hero.  Which it almost hurts to type the word hero to describe this guy.  I'm ALL about the bad boy thing but there's a difference because a bad boy and an asshole.  He wasn't likable to me at all.  I didn't really feel that moment where he's supposed to show his real self and make me swoon over him.  I was hoping and waiting for the moment where I was shown his depth and it didn't come soon enough for me to continue.  There was a few moments where I was left in shock with the way he treated the protagonist.  One good act doesn't fix three bad ones.  


All in all, the characters were the main thing lacking in this book.  In my opinion characters are SO important and they are what keeps me interested.  



1 comment:

  1. Blast! I have been wanting to read this one for a while. I might still give it a chance though. I am a sucker for that cover, lol.

    ReplyDelete