Friday, August 2, 2013

Joint book review of The 5th Wave (The 5th Wave #1) by Rick Yancey


 

Synopsis:

After the 1st wave, only darkness remains. After the 2nd, only the lucky escape. And after the 3rd, only the unlucky survive. After the 4th wave, only one rule applies: trust no one.

Now, it’s the dawn of the 5th wave, and on a lonely stretch of highway, Cassie runs from Them. The beings who only look human, who roam the countryside killing anyone they see. Who have scattered Earth’s last survivors. To stay alone is to stay alive, Cassie believes, until she meets Evan Walker. Beguiling and mysterious, Evan Walker may be Cassie’s only hope for rescuing her brother—or even saving herself. But Cassie must choose: between trust and despair, between defiance and surrender, between life and death. To give up or to get up.
Joint review:
Melody: Before I read this book, I was told it was going to be slow in the beginning.  I didn't find that at all! The book hooked me from the start.  I'm guessing they meant slow because for most of the beginning of the book you are mostly getting the protagonist's memories which made for excellent world building (which I loveeeeeeeee).

Betsy: The book had me wrapped around its pretty little finger from the very beginning. Word around town was that it was a slow book but I actually enjoyed the pacing (GASP!). The world building, as Melody mentioned, is PHENOMENAL. It was incredibly vivid and descriptive which really made the difference to me and gave me a real understanding of what had happened.

Melody: I honestly loved all of the characters and I really enjoyed being able to glimpse into their points of views.  It was always a glimpse for something that really mattered, something that was important to see in their point of view.  It really made me connect with every single character.  I honestly felt that the protagonist was strong and weak at all the right moments.

Betsy: The friggin' 'characters! I loved them all. Can I just say... Nugget is the cutest thing in the universe! And EVAN!!!!! GAHHHHH. *fans herself*. You know its an amazing book when you WANT to be in other characters' POV's. I was really impressed with Cassie's character. I feel like she was the perfect combination of tough, vulnerable, bad ass, and innocent. It really blew my mind how much I connected with her especially since the author is a male! This never happens, people!!!



Melody: One of the things that really wowed me about this story was that the author is a male.  I felt that he wrote from a girl's point of view better than some women have!  



Betsy: Can we talk about the ending for a minute?! Holy crap! I just about had a heart attack. It might have been the slower pace at the beginning that made the ending so epicly fast-paced and intense but, HOLY HELL! The feels were going 100 MPH. And there's a crazy twist that I. DID. NOT. SEE. COMING. LOL.

Melody: I loved this book so much and the ending pretty much left me in a puddle of feelings and I really need for the next one to come out.  Thank you Rick Yancey, for giving us a fresh look at an alien post apocalyptic story. 



No comments:

Post a Comment