Monday, September 30, 2013

Review of Ruby Hill by Sarah Ballance

ARC provided by Publisher for honest review.



Synopsis:

From her earliest memories, Ashley Pearce has been drawn to Ruby Hill Lunatic Asylum, and she's not the only one. Decades after the abandoned hospital ended its institutional reign of torture and neglect, something lurks in the shadows. Since she’s a paranormal investigator, it's Ashley's job to find out what.



Crime scene expert Corbin Malone doesn't believe in ghosts. A born skeptic, he has no interest in entertaining the hype surrounding the mysterious deaths at Ruby Hill, but he won't turn his back while more women die. He agrees to an overnight investigation, never expecting his first encounter would be with the woman he pushed away a year ago. But when he discovers Ashley is a target, he learns his greatest fear isn't living with his own demons, but losing her for good.


Review:

ARC provided by Publisher for honest review.

I didn't realize this was a short story until I was about half way through. Why!!!!!? I have lady blue balls right now. Never have I read something I enjoyed so much and was left hanging so badly. 

Let me start off by saying that I loved the writing and the story! I was hooked from the beginning and it played out like a movie in my head which was really neat. It was intriguing, original, creepy, and suspenseful but it was way too short.  In my opinion, it had too much content for a short story. I want more. More background, more romance, more action...


I feel like some kind of drug addict. I need more details on Cash's death, more family history, more on the connections to the victims and the asylum. This could have easily been a full length book and a really great one. The author is more than capable and I really wish she had taken it further. PLEASE TAKE IT FURTHER!!!! I'm frustrated.


It was minimal in details and plot and I feel like that could have definitely been expanded and milked. I felt a tiny connection to the characters but nothing that grabbed at me full force. And when it ended I almost died.



With that being said, I do recommend it to those looking for a quick (and I mean microscopic) read full of creepiness and suspense. I'll be keeping an eye out for  books by this author.

a Rafflecopter giveaway

2 comments:

  1. With it being October and Halloween...the story sounds like a fitting. I will have to pick it up. Will be prepared for it being a short story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for your review of Ruby Hill! :)

    ReplyDelete