Friday, December 6, 2013

Book review of Ashes (Ashes Trilogy #1) by Ilsa J. Bick



Synopsis:

It could happen tomorrow . . .

An electromagnetic pulse flashes across the sky, destroying every electronic device, wiping out every computerized system, and killing billions.

Alex hiked into the woods to say good-bye to her dead parents and her personal demons. Now desperate to find out what happened after the pulse crushes her to the ground, Alex meets up with Tom—a young soldier—and Ellie, a girl whose grandfather was killed by the EMP.

For this improvised family and the others who are spared, it’s now a question of who can be trusted and who is no longer human.

Author Ilsa J. Bick crafts a terrifying and thrilling post-apocalyptic novel about a world that could become ours at any moment, where those left standing must learn what it means not just to survive, but to live amidst the devastation.

Review:

Alex, our protagonist, is a bad ass bitch. She's strong, independent, and smart. I would totally want to be her friend in real life. We start off learning that she has a brain tumor and although she has had all sorts of treatments  it keeps growing and is completely unaffected. She decides to hike to Lake Superior to let go of some baggage. While there, she experiences what she calls "The Zap"- people drop dead, birds fall from the sky, and deer jump off of cliffs. She soon learns that the entire world has been affected by this EMP.

Right off the bat Alex meets Ellie (an incredibly irritating 8 year old) and a few chapters later, Tom (an incredibly sexy soldier). Before we go any further let me just say that I wanted to high five Ellie in the face with a chair and then some. Fuck, she was annoying. I know that she is just a child but OMG I would've left her ass behind lol #sorrynotsorry

I love Tom- even with all of his baggage. He's such a great character. Even though the relationship within Tom and Alex sprung up fast, I felt it was genuine and sincere. And I absolutely loved their little family of three. 

There was a lot of gore which I didn't expect but absolutely loved!

Towards the end of the book I found it hard to keep interested in the story due to a major plot change. I'll definitely be reading book 2! And I recommend this to those looking for a good post-apocalyptic/dystopian book!

No comments:

Post a Comment