Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Book review of Tomorrow Land by Mari Mancusi



Synopsis:

Can true love survive the end of the world? 

Imagine finding your first love, only to be ripped apart by the apocalypse. Peyton Anderson will never forget the day she was forced to make a choice--between her family--and Chris Parker, the boy she'd given her heart. And now, four years later, as she steps from the fallout shelter and into a dead and broken world, he's the only thing on her mind.

All Chris "Chase" Parker wanted was to take Peyton away and keep her safe from harm. But he waited for hours in the rain on judgment day and she never showed--breaking his heart without ever telling him why. 

Now the two of them have been thrown together once again, reluctant chaperones of a group of orphan children in a post-apocalyptic world where the dead still walk...and feed. As they begin their pilgrimage to the last human outpost on Earth, can they find a way to let go of old hurts and find the love they lost--all the while attempting to save what's left of the human race?

Previously published in paperback as RAZOR GIRL.

Review:

I love zombies and I have yet to find a zombie book I love.


This story had great potential but unfortunately didn't do it for me. It took me a while to get into the story because of the jumping back and forth between BZ (before zombies) and AZ (after zombies). Once I got used to the way the story was written it wasn't all that bad but I was always anxious to get to the AZ parts for some reason! And then I finally got to the end and literally said "REALLY?!". 

I think the main issue for me were the characters. I never really connected with them or grew to care for them which really saddens me! Another thing that bothered me were the stupid decisions the characters made. HOW HAVE THEY SURVIVED SO LONG!? Maybe its because I'm so prepared and ready for the zombie apocalypse...



... but these characters were asking for death. No common sense and it wasn't realistic (As realistic as a post zombie apocalypse world can be).Seriously you guise.

It's mediocre at best, IMO. I won't be reading this again and don't really recommend it unless someone lets you borrow it or you check it out at a library. 

1 comment:

  1. I read this a while ago and had a similar reaction. I really wanted to love it, but I also wanted to just scoff at some of the characters' stupidity. By the end I was kind of just thanking God it was over :-/

    ReplyDelete