Friday, August 29, 2014

Book review of Pieces of Autumn by Mara Black




PIECES OF AUTUMN is a work of dark romance, intended for adult readers who will not be offended by themes of kidnapping, human trafficking, and violence.


I wish I could tell you that I was stolen. 



Kidnapped off the street in some third-world country, sold against my will, while a desperate family back home waited and prayed and talked about me on the news.


I wish I could tell you that, because then you might understand.

What really happened? I walked to my fate with my eyes wide open. But before you say I deserved whatever happened to me, you should know. I was desperate. I was alone. I was afraid for my life. You would have done the same thing.

I thought things couldn’t possibly get any worse.

But then, I woke up in darkness, unable to move. There was only one thing I was sure of: I wasn’t alone anymore.

And then I heard HIS voice...




Holy hell, this book is hawt. Right off the bat, this book screamed Tears of Tess to me which was one of my favorite reads last year.

The book started off great for me. It was way too reminiscent of Tears of Tess plot wise but the story and the flow kept me entertained. Then about halfway through the book I started losing interest. And I think this had a lot to do with the characters and with the inner dialogue. I didn't think the character development was very good. They weren't consistent as characters and that threw me off. Also, Autumn started to really annoy me as did their little game of going back and forth. And as I mentioned, the inner dialogue always felt too lengthy to me. I found myself skimming during the inner dialogue bits and I tried SO hard NOT to.


Tate is HAWT! With that being said, I was confused by his character. I felt that he was all over the place. Really, in the end what kept me reading was the SEX!!!! I loved the sexual tension. Yaaaaaaaas. Jesus take the wheel. 

I like the back story of what's going on in the world. That's a cool twist. But the world building for this fell short. And towards the end I feel like stuff in the plot was just thrown together haphazardly. No real foundation and kind of rushed. Not believable. 


The pain is a constant thing.

It’s not emotional. It is a deep and physical ache, lodged in my chest where no surgeon could ever hope to find it. It’s as real as a snake bite or a broken leg. It is not the sting of a whip or the heavy thud of a bat against my ribs, although I still have a twinge when I breathe in deep.

If all the broken things from my past were like vicious shards, embedded deep, an ache I’d grown used to - didn’t know how to live without -

Then Autumn was like a paper cut. Sharp and bright and sudden. Unexpected. Hurting more than it had any right to. 


No comments:

Post a Comment