Monday, September 22, 2014

Book Review of Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell

15745753



Two misfits.
One extraordinary love.

Eleanor... Red hair, wrong clothes. Standing behind him until he turns his head. Lying beside him until he wakes up. Making everyone else seem drabber and flatter and never good enough...Eleanor.

Park... He knows she'll love a song before he plays it for her. He laughs at her jokes before she ever gets to the punch line. There's a place on his chest, just below his throat, that makes her want to keep promises...Park.

Set over the course of one school year in 1986, ELEANOR AND PARK is the story of two star-crossed misfits – smart enough to know that first love almost never lasts, but brave and desperate enough to try. When Eleanor meets Park, you’ll remember your own first love – and just how hard it pulled you under.





The main reason I read this book was because of all the hype. So, unfortunately, I went in with big expectations. I know this book has a HUGE following and fan base but I just don't see what the big deal was about.


Promise you guys won't attack!? My first thought after finishing the book was: meh. After all the hype, I felt underwhelmed and let down at the end. Now, don't get me wrong. It's touched a lot of people and I am in no way putting it down. It just didn't move me. I can't be the only one! It was a cute story and the characters were endearing, but I just couldn't connect to the characters emotionally which is a shame because I felt like the potential was there. Especially with the heavy subplots which beg for the reader to create a connection to the characters.

One of my main issues was that the subplots weren't really resolved or discussed much and left me empty handed. I understand that it can be argued that the main focus of the story was Eleanor and Park's friendship/relationship but the rest were definitely important parts that would've rounded out the plot and the characters.

I did enjoy some of the quotes (listed below) and overall it was a quick, sweet read. Not life changing. I won't re-read it. And to be quite honest, I probably wouldn't gift it either.


“Eleanor was right. She never looked nice. She looked like art, and art wasn't supposed to look nice; it was supposed to make you feel something.” 

“You saved me life, she tried to tell him. Not forever, not for good. Probably just temporarily. But you saved my life, and now I'm yours. The me that's me right now is yours. Always.” 

“There was something about the music on that tape. It felt different. Like, it set her lungs and her stomach on edge. There was something exciting about it, and something nervous. It made Eleanor feel like everything, like the world, wasn't what she'd thought it was. And that was a good thing. That was the greatest thing.”

No comments:

Post a Comment