Friday, September 19, 2014

Book Review of The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern




The circus arrives without warning. No announcements precede it. It is simply there, when yesterday it was not. Within the black-and-white striped canvas tents is an utterly unique experience full of breathtaking amazements. It is called Le Cirque des RĂªves, and it is only open at night. 


But behind the scenes, a fierce competition is underway: a duel between two young magicians, Celia and Marco, who have been trained since childhood expressly for this purpose by their mercurial instructors. Unbeknownst to them both, this is a game in which only one can be left standing. Despite the high stakes, Celia and Marco soon tumble headfirst into love, setting off a domino effect of dangerous consequences, and leaving the lives of everyone, from the performers to the patrons, hanging in the balance.




This book was so magical! This book was actually quite a challenge for me to read simply because I normally like high-fantasy super fictional books, so this was difficult. The book is fiction, however it did not contain lethal assassins or dragons or a dystopian society; it contained magic. 

This story is told from many different perspectives; from magicians to clock-makers to ghosts to evil bosses. You name it. I honestly don't even know how to summarize this book. I guess I can say it's about a competition between two powerful magicians/illusionists. It is so hard to explain! The synopsis is really the best way to explain.

I rated this book a 4 stars. I would have given it a 5 stars but it took a very long time to get interesting. I got to about page 180 befor it started to get good. I was very nervous in the beginning. I really didn't want this to be a boring book because I had really high expectations for it. I ended up loving it. My favorite thing about this book had to be the writing style. Morgenstern depicts visuals so well, and her writing is simply beautiful. Check out some of my favorite quotes below!

If you are looking for an enlightening, romantic, magical read, this book is definitely for you! It was fantastic, and I highly recommend it to anyone, who likes any genre. 

That is it for now, thanks for reading! Go read something awesome!


"They are a bunch of fish covered in feathers trying to convince the public they can fly, and I am simply a bird in their midst." (Morgenstern, 13)

"The concern of not being able to be certain if anything is real. How disconcerting it is to look in a mirror and see the same face, unchanged for years." (Morgenstern, 177)

" 'Because I do not wish to know,' he says. 'I prefer to remain unenlightened, to better appreciate the dark.' " (Morgenstern, 183)


1 comment:

  1. I read this book a few years ago and loved it. It was so amazing. I'm glad that you enjoyed it as well.

    Grace @ Books of Love

    ReplyDelete