Thursday, September 4, 2014

Book review of Ugly Love by Colleen Hoover


When Tate Collins meets airline pilot Miles Archer, she knows it isn’t love at first sight. They wouldn’t even go so far as to consider themselves friends. The only thing Tate and Miles have in common is an undeniable mutual attraction. Once their desires are out in the open, they realize they have the perfect set-up. He doesn’t want love, she doesn’t have time for love, so that just leaves the sex. Their arrangement could be surprisingly seamless, as long as Tate can stick to the only two rules Miles has for her.

Never ask about the past.
Don’t expect a future.

They think they can handle it, but realize almost immediately they can’t handle it at all.

Hearts get infiltrated.
Promises get broken.
Rules get shattered.
Love gets ugly.




I CONSUMED this book. Actually, I think this book CONSUMED me.

I don't even know where to start. My feelings are literally all over the place. All of the feelings. Definitely my favorite Colleen book so far. Also in my favorite top reads of this whole year. Colleen Hoover is just AMAZING! 


I was sucked into the story right from the beginning. Tate was a great character and I really enjoyed her voice, she felt like a real person. The way the story was woven together was absolutely beautiful. Miles’ POV was astounding.  I loved the way it felt almost poetic and it really made him shine as a character.  When I was in his POV it literally felt like he was drowning in his sorrow.  I was flipping pages constantly because I was dying to know what had happened, but I also wanted to know what was happening in the present. Sometimes I find that I either want to remain in the present or find out what happens, not usually both. The heartbreak in this book is SO Big and my feelings for Miles are miles long.


I know a lot of people complained about Tate and her "self worth", and Miles and his "issues" (I don't want to spoil anything). But the book is titled Ugly Love and kind of let's you know this isn't going to be boy meets girl, boy has never loved anyone before. Boy falls for her and happily ever after. The end. Ta-Da.

Sometimes people fall in love and things fall apart. And then what happens in the future? Can you ever meet someone else? Can you overcome being completely destroyed emotionally?  Personally I LOVED this story. It was beautiful and painful. But just like one of the quotes from the book:

“God gives us the ugliness so we don’t take the beautiful things in life for granted.” 

People do fall in love again, sometimes there's heartbreak and while sometimes both characters did things I wasn't happy about, it was honestly something that seemed organic to the story. 


I really recommend that people read this book no matter what some reviews say.







"The difference between the ugly side of love and the beautiful side of love is that the beautiful side of love is much lighter.  It makes you feel like you're floating.  It lifts you up.  Carries you.  The beautiful parts of love hold you above the rest of the world.  They hold you so high above all the bad stuff and you look down on everything else and think, Wow.  I'm so glad I'm up here."

“I suppose if a man lived through the ugliest side of love, he might never want to experience it again.” 

      


No comments:

Post a Comment