Thursday, October 9, 2014

Book review of The Elite (The Selection #2) by Kiera Cass




The Selection began with thirty-five girls.

Now with the group narrowed down to the six Elite, the competition to win Prince Maxon's heart is fiercer than ever—and America is still struggling to decide where her heart truly lies. Is it with Maxon, who could make her life a fairy tale? Or with her first love, Aspen?


America is desperate for more time. But the rest of the Elite know exactly what they want—and America's chance to choose is about to slip away. 





When I first picked up The Selection, it was a "risk" to me. I wasn't too fond of princesses and cutesy romances. Plus, at the time I felt I needed a more kick-ass book. However, completely surprised, I flew through the book and thoroughly enjoyed it! It took me awhile, but I finally grabbed The Elite. Let me just say, these covers have got to be the prettiest ones I own. The dresses are gorgeous!

Cass was able to create a world where The Bachelor meets royalty and she managed not to make it too cheesy or boring. As a reader who simply cannot read "cheesy", I was thoroughly impressed.

To be honest, in middle of The Elite, I started to get annoyed by America's character. Yes, I understood that she and [name removed because it's a spoiler] have/had something and that [name removed because it's a spoiler] is outrageously irresistible! Then there's the outcomes of each choice. Be with [name removed because it's a spoiler] or be with [name removed because it's a spoiler]?  AH.

Other than that, I still loved Lady America. As all the maids say, she is truly a 'lady'. She's kind and though she's not a genius, she's pretty smart. Plus, that last Report was damn brave. [Yet, a wee bit stupid.] I wish we'd have more scenes where she's play her violin. I could seriously see this happening as a TV show and it would make perfect sense!

The Elite has it's fair share of laughs, tears, and "AWH!"-ing. It's a good balance that keeps the readers glued to the book. I recommend it to everyone who'll give it a shot! I have The One ready to go and I'll try to get a review on it up here soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment