Monday, October 13, 2014

Book review of Not That Kind of Girl: A Young Woman Tells You What She's "Learned" by Lena Dunham





"There is nothing gutsier to me than a person announcing that their story is one that deserves to be told," writes Lena Dunham, and it certainly takes guts to share the stories that make up her first book, Not That Kind of Girl. These are stories about getting your butt touched by your boss, about friendship and dieting (kind of) and having two existential crises before the age of 20. Stories about travel, both successful and less so, and about having the kind of sex where you feel like keeping your sneakers on in case you have to run away during the act. Stories about proving yourself to a room of 50-year-old men in Hollywood and showing up to "an outlandishly high-fashion event with the crustiest red nose you ever saw." Fearless, smart, and as heartbreakingly honest as ever, Not That Kind of Girl establishes Lena Dunham as more than a hugely talented director, actress and producer-it announces her as a fresh and vibrant new literary voice.





Foreword: EVERY WOMAN AND GIRL SHOULD READ THIS NOW!!

First of all, this review may be biased because I adore Lena Dunham to begin with. Writer, creator and star of HBO’s Girls (No seriously, go watch it), Lena is a talented, brilliant, REAL young woman. Not That Kind of Girl: a young woman tells you what she’s “learned”, is a hilarious collection of personal essays about her various struggles and experiences with love, sex, dieting, friendship, family, work, etc. Told in a brutally honest, funny voice, Lena`s stories, though her own, are so relatable it`s scary (in a good way)!

Second, I have to say, this is probably my favourite book of the year. I stayed up all night trying to take in as much of this book as possible; I just couldn`t stop. At points, I felt as if she could read my mind and points where I found myself laughing hysterically. (At one point I had to put it down while reading in public because I couldn`t keep it together.) I just LOVED the bluntness and boldness with which these stories are told.

Third, with querky essay titles like Take My Virginity (No, Really, Take It); Who Moved My Uterus; and I Didn`t Fuck Them, but They Yelled at Me, how can you not help but be sucked in to her crazy beautiful mind?

Finally, content matter aside, Lena Dunham’s down-to-earth and true-to-life writing style coupled with the smooth flow of the book makes Not That kind of Girl a book that is not only easy to read but easy to LIKE. It’s literary entertainment at its finest.

I’m so obsessed with this book that I had to give it a rare 5 stars. If Lena Dunham wasn’t my hero before, she sure as hell is now! This is a book I will continue to pick up any time I’m experiencing my own struggles, or if I simply could use a good laugh.


Like I said, if you are a female, you HAVE to read this book – fiction and non-fiction lovers alike. Not That Kind of Girl is for any girl who has struggled with rejection, weight, insecurities, school and work, and just trying to find her place in the world. I don’t know what else to say, but go! Go pick up this book and read it right now! If you don’t like it, then you’re wrong. Just kidding.. kind of. #sorrynotsorry



No comments:

Post a Comment