Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Book Review of Locke & Key, Volume 1: Welcome to Lovecraft (Locke & Key #1) by Joe Hill, Gabriel Rodríguez




Locke & Key tells of Keyhouse, an unlikely New England mansion, with fantastic doors that transform all who dare to walk through them. Home to a hate-filled and relentless creature that will not rest until it forces open the most terrible door of them all...




Let me open with the fact that I have never before read a graphic novel. Not because I didn’t want to (I did), but I just had no idea where to start. I got this book as a birthday gift from a friend who reads a lot of graphic novels, and she highly recommended it. I was so excited to try something new, so I started it as soon as I could. On the other hand, I’ll admit that I was a little skeptical – I’ve never really read comics and I wasn’t sure how I’d feel about a book with pictures. This is what I decided:

I LOVE THIS BOOK.

The illustrations (brilliantly drawn by Gabriel Rodriguez) add a whole new dimension to the story. To see the very real expressions and emotions on the characters’ faces was a whole new experience for me. Don’t get me wrong, I love being able to use my imagination to envision settings and characters whilst reading, but I have a new found appreciation for the skill and art required to create such depth and dimension as seen in the faces and actions of the characters in Locke & Key. Joe Hill and Gabriel Rodriguez together brought the story to life in a way that I forgot I was reading and also looking at pictures, but rather felt like I was simply a part of the story.

Okay, now let me give it to you straight. This novel is DARK, disturbing and graphic (no pun intended). I’m talking ghosts and secrets and murder… with a cliff hanger ending to boot. Beyond that, Welcome to Lovecraft reads with the depth of any novel. The setting is a creepy mansion called Keyhouse, which seems to be an entity of its own – one that is angry and powerful. It carries old secrets and secret doors that have the power to transform anyone who walks through. The main characters consist mainly of the children of the Locke family, each of whom are a little lost after the death of their father. Tyler, the oldest, is deeply depressed and blames himself for his father’s demise. Kinsey, the second child and only girl has lost her sense of identity and is trying to find herself again. Last and most importantly is the young Bode who knows and sees more than all, perhaps making him the key to discovering all the mysteries and secrets of Keyhouse.

Locke & Key: Welcome to Lovecraft definitely got me out my reading slump. I have been so crazy busy, and this was something I was able to pick up and get through very quickly. In addition, it offered a great escape. Mostly it just offered something new and different for me. I cannot wait to pick up the rest of the series.

If you’re like me and are thinking about trying a graphic novel for the first time but don’t know what to read, go buy this right now! Or, if you are a big graphic novel reader, go buy this as well because it is just plain great!

Peace y’all <3


No comments:

Post a Comment