Friday, February 13, 2015

Book Review of All's Fair in Love and Cupcakes by Betsy St. Amant




Kat inspected rows of the same old cupcakes. They seemed to blink back at her, as if they knew she was capable of so much more.

Kat Varland has had enough of chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry.

At twenty-six years old, Kat is still living in the shadows of her family in Bayou Bend, Louisiana. Still working shifts at her Aunt Maggie s bakery. Still wondering what to do with her passion for baking and her business degree. And still single.

But when Lucas Brannen, Kat's best friend, signs her up for a reality TV bake-off on Cupcake Combat, everything Kat ever wanted is suddenly dangled in front of her: creative license as a baker, recognition as a visionary . . . and a job at a famous bakery in New York.

As the competition heats up, Lucas realizes he might have made a huge mistake. As much as he wants the best for Kat, the only thing he wants for himself her is suddenly in danger of slipping away.

The bright lights of reality cooking wars and the chance at a successful career dazzle Kat's senses and Lucas is faced with a difficult choice: help his friend achieve her dreams . . . or sabotage her chances to keep her in Louisiana.





ARC provided by the author via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I have to admit. What drew me to this book was the cover- it's so incredibly sweet (no pun intended). I freaking love this cover!  Then, when I read the synopsis I KNEW I had to read this! 

Kat and Lucas are best friends who unknowingly have feelings for one another. At 26 years old, Kat feels stuck. She is working at her Aunt Maggie's bakery where she doesn't really have the opportunity to be creative or try new things. To top it off, her family doesn't take her baking seriously. Oh, and she's crushing on her life long bff, Lucas. 

Lucas is head over heels in love with Kat, and is looking for the perfect opportunity to let her know. Being her number one supporter, he signs her up for Cupcake Combat as a gesture of support and love. Guess what? She gets selected! It's during this whole next part of the book that the angst and frustration for these two characters really begins. There were a few times I wanted to kill them. You would think that based on their strong friendship they'd be more open and willing to really talk things out.

Even though I thought the whole Cupcake Combat bit was entertaining because it reminded me of my career (opera singer), I found myself skimming at times. I tried REALLY hard not to but I have to be honest with you guys. I felt like the inner dialogue between the two characters was too much. This story is told in two POV's which I love, but we kept getting the same angsty and insecurity-filled inner dialogue over and over which was too repetitive to me. I think that if the story had been told from one POV it wouldn't have disinterested me in those sections. Also, the whole transition between friends to something else (at the end) was WAAAAY too abrupt and unbelievable to me. You can know someone for years and love them but that doesn't mean you should jump straight into something as big as they did. Oh, another thing! The further I got into the book I realized this was a religious read. I don't usually go for that kind of book but I was pleasantly surprised. 

All in all, if you want a sweet and light read, make sure to pick this up!


No comments:

Post a Comment