Friday, August 28, 2015

Book Review for Beyond The Veil (The Veil #1) by Pippa DaCosta




“They say I’m half a demon, but I like to think of myself as half human, especially as the demons want me dead.”
 
Charlie Henderson is living a lie. Her real name is Muse and her attempt at a normal life is about to go up in smoke. 
 
When a half-demon assassin walks into her life, leaving a trail of destruction in his wake, Muse must return to the one man she hoped never to see again and ask for help. The Prince of Greed isn’t known for his charity. The price is high and the cost could tear her apart.
 
Trapped between the malevolent intentions of a Prince of Hell, an assassin with ulterior motives and her bloodthirsty demon-kin, Muse must embrace the lure of chaos at her core; the demon inside her, in order to survive.

If your ex is the Prince of Greed, you’d better be ready to raise hell.

Visit the website: www.theveilseries.co.uk 





I am exclusive in my reading tastes.  I love the badass chick in a supernatural world. Heavy preference toward a juicy romance with an alpha male, and am always disappointed when an author robs us of a satisfying sex scene.  This leaves me in a fairly specific genre…which, unfortunately, is riddled with crappy attempts for books. You either end up with an author who is trying too hard to write about magical worlds,
 

or one who is trying to pass a cheap romance novel off as having a plot. 
 

Thus, I am the owner of a collection of unfinished books to rival the conditioner bottle graveyard in my shower (if you finish your shampoo before your conditioner, you have clearly made a deal with the devil).

My point is that I have become a creature of skepticism toward new authors and series. I have a very strict vetting system in place before I even consider lending my attention to untested books.  This series may have passed my tortuous tests on its own, but we will never know as it got skipped to the front of the line because it was FREE. 


I saw it advertised as such and downloaded it on my trusty Nook App. 
“How can the author just be GIVING away books??” one might wonder…. Well, by the end of this one I had my answer: because that smart bitch knows you will now be hooked and obligated to purchase at LEAST the next book. 


DaCosta introduces us to our heroine, her background, her world, and all of the other players in this, Book #1.  She does a fantastic job of giving us an introductory book to set up the series without overloading us with info or leaving us bored.  No page skimming here.  It keeps a fast pace throughout while knowing when to give us a moment of poignancy or a steamy romp. 

I enjoyed DaCosta’s writing style and a fresh world/set of characters and I especially enjoyed that it was FREE. I’m off to go PAY for Book #2 (Your plan worked this time Dacosta!)



No comments:

Post a Comment